CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 21, 2004

The Woodland Arts Fair..A review and why it drove me NUTS

I just got back from Woodland Park for their annual arts and crafts fair. The list of different mediums was staggering: woodworking, ceramics, painting, sculpture, photography, jewelry, fabric arts....It went on forever. People who know me can tell you I am a crafts fair junkie. Woodland Park's is one of the best in the region. The thing that was bad is that I went broke, 9 bucks to my name. Jewelry booths were as far as the eye can see, and I could only drool. I could also wistfully wish I was a vendor. That is my ultimate dream: to have an art business full time, with my sculpture or paintings. Travel and people and actually feeling like an artist, that's my dream and I could only watch it. I swear I will do that. One day.
The other thing that drove me crazy was some of the patrons there. Women in their 50's and 60's bogarting the jewelry stands. I know they are the ones with the money and gold card, but I wanted to actually speak to the artists. These women would stand there, try on half the booth then walk on. I just wanted to get close enough to
see the workmanship. Jewelry making is a secret passion I don't tell with many others about. The reason I wanted to get close to the artists is that sometimes they take apprentices. It was a busy day, good for them but bad for me. I did see some amazing work, and hope to go back tomorrow.

0 comments: