CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 11, 2004

The 5k and how I did

I remember the old A-Team character Hannibal, and his favorite saying, "I love it when a plan comes together". That's what I thought at the end of this mornings Race for the Cure. The last 5k didn't go as I had hoped. I bonked 15 minutes into it, and limped the rest of the way, with Dan walking beside me. I rushed, didn't drink enough, and was nervous. Last night I went to bed late, as I usually do on Saturday nights. Woke up at 5:30 am, normal time. I drank a gallon of water last night, and 40 ounces of water. Walked downtown to the race area in a leisurely pace. The only fear I had was my left leg; somehow yesterday at work I sat awkwardly and my whole left leg wanted to cramp. I tried to stretch before I left, and I stretched at the site. My leg would not budge. The sign from the Goddess that it was going to be a good day was massage therapists doing pre race massages. Found one who absolutely gave me the once over. He loosened up the left leg then rubbed the rest of me. The leg was still gimpy but usable at the start.
I started out extremely slow. I was going to treat this like any workout run/walk. At minute 5 I started to run 1 minute, walk 1 minute. I changed this from the last 5 k, when I was running 1.5 minutes and walking 30 seconds. It was too much. For this race, I was surprised that I kept up the 1/1 all the way to the finishline. I wasn't tired, I was thirsty but that was to be expected. I actually passed people instead of them passing me. I finished strong and proud. I was strong enough to come home, shower and go back to farmers market afterwards. Now how I feel later is up for grabs.....
First 5k time...50:42
Second 5k time 46:27

0 comments: