CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

WTF?

I woke up yesterday thinking, in my cynical way, that I had seen just about everything human nature could throw up on society. Then, I opened up Yahoo and see the headline," Shooter goes on rampage in Amish school!"

I had to blink a few times to make sure I was seeing the words right. A shooting...at an AMISH SCHOOL!!! So I click on the link and read the story, then I turn the TV on and watch the news conference with Daniel, stunned. I'm thinking, Let me get this straight: a guy comes home from work, gets his own kids off to school, decides he's suicidal and wants to take a few with him, preferably young girls, and hits the nearest school, which happens to be an Amish school, guaranteed to have no phone or security. Then, shoots 9 of them, killing 3 instantly and himself. Three die later.

I would like to state first that it is horrible and indefensible that any child should die this way. I have a niece that is the age range these girls were (9 years old) . The fact that it's an Amish school makes it that much more horrible, because of their belief system that try to keep them away from the ills of modern society . This would be the LAST place you would figure a situation like this would happen. Can you imagine parents, trying to get to their children in hospitals states away, taking forever to get there because they morally can't fly, and barely let themselves be in cars? Then see their children in modern hospitals, with modern life support? Not only are they about to lose children, but the very fabric of their lives, their society, is rent asunder by one selfish motherfucker with guns?

This kind of nightmare is the worst kind of violation. To me, this proves that no place is safe, no children are safe. Now I know that safety is relative, and the fact that we are not in control of anything in our lives is the the only thing we can be absolutely sure of. I have a great deal of respect for the Amish culture. They only want to be left alone to practice their faith, raise their children, and live in peace. Like any of us. it will take them a very long time to recover from this. I pray to my goddess that it happens quickly.

0 comments: