CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 23, 2007

Captain Outrageous

Captain Outrageous died February 9. Yes that has been several weeks ago now, but I haven't exactly known what to say until now. I've been kinda trying to put the shock into words, but couldn't till now.

To all not in the know, Capt. O was an art INSITUTION in Key West. If one person could be called part of the essential fabric of KW it was him. He had an international following, but this was the same affable old coot that would say hello and wink as I ran by him in coming out of Harpoon Harry's after breakfast. His art was everywhere on the streets and in the windows and musical instruments, as colorful and varied as a fine emerald found from a Keys shipwreck. I didn't know him more than to say hello, but his art stayed in my heart for the past 7 years.
The sad part is his passing feels like another string connecting me to KW has been cut. If I had been there, I would have marched in his funeral procession through the streets of the island. Capt. O's death has reminded me both how distant those days are becoming, and how instantly my heart can be snapped back like a piece of elastic right back there. Have a good sail Capt'!!

0 comments: